Call for Papers – African Studies at the 2015 Midwest Popular Culture Association (MPCA)
Thursday-Sunday, 1-4 October 2015
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH, 45202
Submission Deadline Extended to May 15, 2015
The African Studies area of the Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for its 2015 conference in Cincinnati, OH. We are looking for papers that examine any aspect of African studies relevant to culture, from any time period, using any scholarly method.
Topics of particularly interest for paper or panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
• Impact of Western news and/or entertainment media representations of Africa and/or African responses to Western media representation
• Comparative approaches to African and other cultures
• Technology use in Africa
• Impact of social media on life in Africa, especially in establishing connections between those in Africa and those on other continents
• Impact of (popular) culture on politics in Africa and politics of Africa in other places
• Approaches to tourism and/or urbanization and culture in Africa
To submit a paper to the African Studies area, register on the submission website submissions.mpcaaca.org and submit a paper abstract of 250 words or a panel proposal including short abstracts and titles of each prospective paper. Include in your submission the name, affiliation, address, and e-mail address of each author/participant. You must specify any special AV or scheduling needs when submitting your proposal. MPCA/ACA can provide an LCD projector for presentations. Please do not submit the same item to more than one Area.
Graduate student travel grants may be available. Visit http://mpcaaca.org/info/travel-grants/ for more information.
If you have any questions about submissions to the African Studies area, please contact area chair Amy Harth at firstname.lastname@example.org.