We wanted to extend an invitation to any of you in the Cincinnati area interested in attending this workshop in person, April 9, 1:00-3:00 PM EST.
On Thursday April 9th UI&U will host a training seminar about working with student Veterans.
You must register to participate – please click on the invitation below!
Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Terri Henderson and Geri Maples (our new Veterans Services Coordinator), we are moving forward with active recruiting initiatives to grow UI&U’s new Veterans in Union program.
Dr. Jessica Thiede from the Cincinnati Veterans Affairs Medical Center will provide the training. Dr. Thiede is now serving as the Cincinnati VA’s Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL) Consultant and Liaison to eight universities in the greater Cincinnati area.
Please check out the website for more information about VITAL:
In this workshop, Dr. Thiede will discuss how many Veterans are enrolling in higher education in order to:
- Gain career opportunities
- Develop new skills
- Use military skills in civilian life
- Improve the quality of life for themselves and their families
- Transition and integrate into communities
Some Veterans, however, may enter colleges and universities with transitional issues or a need for physical or mental health assistance.
The VITAL initiative strives to enhance academic retention and success through:
- On-campus clinical care and coordination
- Improving understanding of Veterans’ unique strengths and challenges through education and training
- Collaborating with your local VA Medical Center, Veterans Benefits Administration, campus faculty and staff, and community resources
Again, we will record the meeting so that those who cannot attend are able to view the workshop later.