Call for Student Papers:
Leadership Across the Great Divides: Bridging Cultures, Contexts, and Complexities
Student with the best paper will be awarded
a travel grant** and registration for the 2012 ILA conference in Denver, Colorado.
A Travel Grant** of up to $1,000 for expenses related to travel and housing at the 2012 ILA conference in Denver will be presented by Union Institute & University (UI&U) for the best paper submitted to a class in a master’s degree program between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2012 on a topic related to the theme of this year’s ILA conference: Leadership Across the Great Divides: Bridging Cultures, Contexts, and Complexities. Papers will be reviewed by the faculty of UI&U’s Ethical and Creative Leadership concentration in the PhD Program in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Students in UI&U’s low-residency cohort PhD Program in Interdisciplinary Studies have the option of selecting Ethical and Creative Leadership as an area of concentration for their studies. UI&U’s three core themes of Engaging Difference, Ethics and Social Justice, and the Creative Process directly relate to the theme of this year’s ILA conference: Engaging Difference, Ethics and Social Justice, and the Creative Process.
Papers should discuss leadership in the context of diversity, complexity, social justice, and/or ethics. This can include (but is not limited to) papers that address:
- organizational diversity,
- intercultural communication
- leadership to advance social justice or social change
- social problems in need of leadership
- leadership as practiced or experienced by women or others in marginalized groups
- case studies of ethical leadership or programs addressing social inequities
The following criteria should guide submissions:
- Masters theses as well as papers submitted to individual courses are eligible.
- Papers may be submitted either by students or faculty directly to ILA.Submissions@myunion.edu
- Papers will be evaluated by the faculty of UI&U’s Ethical and Creative Leadership concentration for relevance to the conference theme, excellence of scholarship and critical thinking, and quality of writing.
- Submissions should have a cover page with the name of the student, name of the course and faculty member to which the paper was submitted, name of the academic institution, date of the submission, address, phone number, and email address of the student. No identifying information of the student, faculty member, or institution should appear on any other pages of the submission. By submitting, students agree to allow UI&U to contact the faculty member of institution to verify authorship of the paper submitted.
- There are no minimum or maximum page or word limits. Papers can conform to any publication style (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.). Papers must be double-spaced and in a 12 pt. font, preferably Times Roman.
- Submissions must be made by August 1, 2012 to be considered for the travel grant.
- The recipient of the travel grant will be notified by September 15, 2012. The travel grant is for the student only, up to $1,000 for travel and housing. Arrangements will be made by UI&U. ILA will waive the conference registration fee for the travel grant recipient. No substitutions will be made if the recipient elects not to attend the conference.
- The recipient of the travel grant will be named in the ILA conference program and introduced at a reception at the conference sponsored by UI&U.
**Current and former UI&U students are not eligible for the travel grant.