Purpose: The purpose of the annual Faculty Awards Program at the Union Institute & University is to provide a means of peer recognition for exemplary efforts and achievements on the part of Union faculty members in the areas of teaching, service, and scholarship. This program is not intended to be a “competition,” per se. Rather, it is recognized that all Union faculty members exhibit commendatory effort on behalf of their students and their professions, the intent of this program is to provide an opportunity for faculty members to recognize, on a regular basis, exemplary efforts on behalf of their peers.
General Provisions: Outstanding faculty will be acknowledged in the areas of teaching, service, and scholarship. The teaching award may be given annually; the other two awards may be given in alternate years.
1) “Service,” “scholarship,” and “teaching” will each be defined as broadly as they can reasonably be construed.
2) The criteria for all three awards will be for past work in general and will not be limited to any particular time period.
3) These guidelines should be applied in a flexible way to best meet the goal of recognizing the accomplishments of Union Institute & University faculty.
Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching
Eligibility: All UI&U faculty: full-time, part-time, or affiliate
Criteria: The candidate has demonstrated a consistent pattern of excellence in teaching based on information from the dean, students, faculty, on-line courses, or other sources.
Timeline: First quarter of the calendar year. Nominations will be accepted during the month of January and may be submitted by faculty, administration, students, alumni, or as self-nominations. The award winner will be announced at the beginning of April.
Faculty Award for Excellence in Service
Eligibility: All UI&U faculty with benefits.
Criteria: The candidate has demonstrated a pattern of extraordinary dedication to the University above and beyond the contractual assignments, especially those service contributions made without compensation. The candidate has demonstrated a consistent pattern of service of significant importance to the University, to the public, and the community, including significant service in scholarly/professional organizations and has enhanced the reputation, prestige, and the mission of Union Institute & University regionally, nationally, and internationally.
Timeline: Second quarter of even-numbered years. Nominations will be accepted during the month of April and may be submitted by faculty, administration, students, alumni, or as self-nominations. The award winner will be announced at the beginning of July.
Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarship
Eligibility: All UI&U faculty with benefits.
Criteria: The candidate has demonstrated a consistent pattern of excellence in scholarship through past and current publications, fellowships, scholarly presentations and papers, or other activities.
Timeline: Second quarter of odd-numbered calendar years. Nominations will be accepted during the month of April and may be submitted by faculty, administration, students, alumni, or as self-nominations. The award winner will be announced at the beginning of July.
Procedures for Nominations and Decisions
1) Nomination portfolios shall include the following information: a) a letter of nomination explaining why the nominee is qualified to be recognized in this manner; b) the nominee’s most current curriculum vitae; c) any documentary evidence in support of the nomination; d) information regarding any other financial award or grant that has been received in support of the faculty member’s work that forms the basis of this nomination; and, e) the identity of the person or persons making the nomination. Except for self-nominations, the portfolio should not include any confidential information. For self-nominations, confidential information such as dean’s reviews or peer reviews may be submitted in support of the nomination but any confidentiality in that information will be deemed to have been waived.
2) The nomination portfolios shall be submitted to FacultyHR.Committee@myunion.edu by January 31 for the teaching award and April 30 for the service or scholarship award. Only electronic submissions of portfolios will be accepted.
3) The Faculty Personnel and HR Committee will review the nominations and make a recommendation to the Faculty Council. The Committee may recommend a winner, a list of finalists for the Faculty Council to consider, or may recommend that no award be given.
4) Any HR committee member nominated shall recuse him/herself from any consideration of that award. Likewise, at the Faculty Council level, any Faculty Council member who is recommended for an award shall not participate in any consideration of that award.
1) The winner of the teaching award will be publicly announced in early April and the winner of the award for scholarship or service will be announced in early July.
2) The two winners for the calendar year will be recognized at the annual university national faculty meeting in Cincinnati and presented with a plaque or some other physical memento of the award.
3) The winner of each award will receive a cash honorarium of $1000.
4) A permanent wall plaque will be displayed at the UI&U headquarters in Cincinnati to identify and celebrate the award winners.
5) The awards will be presented by the President on behalf of the entire university.
Faculty Personnel and HR Committee
Elden Golden, chair
Rich Hansen, ex officio
Deb Eamoe, ex officio
Approved by Faculty Personnel and HR Committee August 9, 2011
Approved by Faculty Council September 28, 2011